Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Alan Rickman- Actor of the Week

Alan Rickman
Alan Rickman is one of the top period drama actors of our time. He also does a great job with contemporary drama. The smooth silky voice, the measured speech...mmmmm.....sorry, I drifted off for a second there! Even the younger generation of Harry Potter fans have discovered this gem of the British stage and screen. And he seems like a truly lovely man too. He has apparently been together with his "life partner" (there must be a better term for that by now) former economics professor and Labour politician Rima Horton since 1977!

On longtime partner Rima Horton: "I think every relationship should be allowed to have its own rules. She's tolerant. She's incredibly tolerant. Unbelievably tolerant. Possibly a candidate for sainthood."

What a sweetheart. And yet he is king of the baddies, from Die Hard's Hans Gruber to Harry Potter's Severus Snape. He also shows his softer side as Jamie from Truly Madly Deeply and Col. Brandon from Sense and Sensibility. Sigh....... He has even dipped his toe into comedy with Galaxy Quest and Love Actually, although the latter turns to tragedy in his storyline and I always end up shouting at him on the screen. You just can't do that to Emma Thompson, man! Speaking of which, I want to see him in Song of Lunch, a televised dramatization of a poem (sounds amazing) and he is currently filming an updated version of Gambit with Stanley Tucci, Cameron Diaz and Colin Firth.


Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility
Colonel Brandon: What can I do?
Elinor Dashwood: Colonel Brandon, you have done so much already...
Colonel Brandon: Give me an occupation, Miss Dashwood, or I shall run mad.

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape in Harry Potter
"As a drama student and a schoolboy I was sitting up in the cheap seats watching Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon at the National Theatre, so to then find yourself working with them, them becoming friends…and of course Michael has the wickedest sense of humour and Maggie is one of the wittiest people alive, I only regret I didn’t have a tape recorder or a notebook or could do short hand, you can’t compete with those two, that was so fun."


Alan Rickman is Truly Madly Deeply...amazing!
Nina: I love you.
Jamie: I love you.
Nina: I really love you.
Jamie: I really, truly love you.
Nina: I really, truly, madly love you.
Jamie: I really, truly, madly, deeply love you.
Nina: I really, truly, madly, deeply, passionately love you.
Jamie: I really, truly, madly, deeply, passionately, remarkably love you.
Nina: I really, truly, madly, deeply, passionately, remarkably, umm... deliciously love you.
Jamie: I really, truly, madly, passionately, remarkably, deliciously... juicily love you.
Nina: Deeply! Deeply! You passed on deeply, which was your word, which means you couldn't have meant it! So you're a fraud, that's it!
[Jaime playfully pushes Nina away, then pulls her back towards him]
Nina: You're probably a figment of my imagination...
[pauses]
Nina: Juicily?
[Both laugh and make faces]


Now I'm afraid I am going to have to watch Truly Madly Deeply again. What a hardship! Which Alan Rickman films are your faves??????

Truly Madly DeeplyPerfume - The Story Of A MurdererLove Actually (Widescreen Edition)Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (Two-Disc Special Extended Edition)The Search for John GissingThe Barchester ChroniclesMichael CollinsGalaxy Quest (Deluxe Edition)Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet StreetDie HardSense & Sensibility (Special Edition)Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny (Region 2)The Winter GuestHarry Potter Years 1-7 Part 1 Gift SetMesmer (Unrated Director's Cut)

11 comments:

  1. Alan Rickman....be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jo M-I agree...thump, thump, thump! He'll always be my Col. Brandon. So glad Marianne came to her senses at last. Oh, no! Now I'm going to have to watch S&S again! More hardship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan Rickman rocks! I wouldn't have watched Song of Lunch otherwise and his narration made it sing! And it was nice to see him with Emma again! I actually haven't seen many of his movies that you've listed but he certainly stands out in the ones that I have viewed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh.... Alan RIckman....

    Oh yeah, where was I? I think Sense and Sensibility is my favorite film but then Truly Madly Deeply is also a favorite. But then I absolutely love him as Snape. Also loved him in Dogma and Dark Harbor. Hmm... Not sure if I can pick a favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's lovely, isn't he? :)

    I love him as Snape - in fact, thanks to him, Snape is my favourite HP character. I hadn't read the books, but have read the first one fairly recently, and I positively bristled at all the anti-Snape sentiments. :)

    Have you seen BBC's Barchester Chronicles? Based on the Trollope-novel? He's absolutely marvellous as Mr Slope. :)

    LRK

    ReplyDelete
  6. His voice, his voice. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear People

    The photo that has Alan portraying Severus. Does any one have a larger copy of it. I have looked for a larger copy and can not find one. Please can you help me.

    Silynara
    (THE LARGER THE BETTER)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The man is too sexy for words. I love him as snape and I have seen galaxy quest more times than I can count. I just love hearing his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly Madly Deeply and The Winter Guest xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time I saw Truly, Madly, Deeply was on my 14th birthday. I had the flu so my mum put it on and we watched it together. I really enjoyed it even though it is a very sad story and I fell in love with Alan Rickman! I also Alan in Sense and Sensibility, Love Actually and as the evil Severus Snape. He is great in The Song of Lunch. Brilliant actor! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails