Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Friday, October 14, 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow- Actor of the week

Gwyneth as a perfectly coiffed Emma
I have mixed feelings about Gwyneth Paltrow. She has starred in two of my favourite films, Emma and Shakespeare in Love but she is also author of the beautiful and informative but truly smug blog GOOP. If you have never checked out her blog, you really need to see it to believe it. People magazine recently used the verb "gooped" as in: Gwyneth liked this lip gloss so much, she "gooped" about it.

I wonder if she knows how pretentious she sounds giving advice on buying contemporary art and showing off photos of all the Neil Lane jewels she had to choose from for her latest Emmy appearance? I think not...

Shakespeare in love...I adore this flick!

As well as the lovely Emma and Shakespeare in Love, she has starred in a few other period goodies...

Gwyneth as Sylvia Plath in Sylvia
She played the tortured poet Sylvia Plath in Sylvia...

Gwyneth as Patsy Jefferson early in her career
I never knew that she played Patsy Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's daughter in Jefferson in Paris from 1995. This is a Merchant/Ivory production and stars Nick Nolte as Thomas Jefferson, which may have something to do with it's low rating on IMDb. I'd still like to see it however. Have you seen this one? Did you like it?

Gwyneth in Possession with Aaron Eckhart
Gwyneth also played the contemporary role of Maud Bailey in the film Possession, which I classify as a period film as Jennifer Ehle and Jeremy Northam appear in the Victorian flashback segments.

Gwyneth Paltrow and the adorable John Hannah from Sliding Doors
And although it is totally NOT a period drama, I really loved her in Sliding Doors, possibly because she seemed so real in it and because she had the good taste to fall in love with the adorable Scotsman John Hannah. Hmmmm....I might watch this one again soon!

Anyway, I think she is a great actress, but I will somehow enjoy watching her get older...ah, schadenfreude!

5 comments:

  1. I love Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah in Sliding Doors too. It is one of my favourite chick flicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kate from Leeds?-It is a great flick isn't it? I love the what if premise. You and I enjoy many of the same films don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,

    Yes, it is Kate from Leeds, here. Yes, we do love the same films don't we? It is so nice to talk about the films I love with you! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have good memories concerning Sliding Doors, but it's been such a while ago I watched it that I don't recall too much except loving John Hannah and even Gwyneth Paltrow. I am sharing some of your views on her, though I didn't know of her site and must admit I quite enjoyed browsing through it after reading your post on goop. It is like browsing through Glamour or Vogue knowing it not to be my reality which is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rena, I need to watch sliding doors again too. John Hannah has the most adorable Scottish accent ever!

    And yes, the GOOP website is absolutely addictive. If she didn't speak 4 languages, weigh 88 lbs and say things like "I'd rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin", I think I might really love her. Sigh! I think I will go and look at her website again. I am addicted!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails