Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Justine Waddell- Actor of the Week

Justine Waddell
Justine Waddell has been in enough period dramas to be considered an old pro at the ripe old age of 35. Let's see if any of you have seen them all. I certainly haven't, but I am impressed with the ones I have seen.

Justine Waddell in Tess of the D'Urbervilles 1998
As Tess Durbeyfield in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Waddell showed she really has some acting chops. This may be the best version of Tess yet! She'll break your heart.

Justine Waddell as Julia Bertram in Mansfield Park 1999
I think I first saw Justine Waddell as the younger sister, Julia Bertram in Mansfield Park 1999. It's a minor role but she handled it very well. I love this version of Mansfield Park although I know the Jane Austen purists think it is a travesty. I know great liberties were taken, but it is a lovely film and until we have a really great version of Mansfield Park, this is the best we've got!

Justine Waddell as Estella in Great Expectations 1999
I admit that I haven't seen this version of Great Expectations, but it sounds like I should. Visually stunning is used on IMDb more than once to describe this version. Opposite Ioan Gruffudd and Charlotte Rampling, Waddell makes a stunning Estella, so I look forward to seeing this version of Dickens' classic soon.

Justine Waddell in The Woman in White
I saw The Woman in White so long ago that I can't remember it. Must watch it again. If it has Justine Waddell and Simon Callow in it, it has to be good. Squeee! I just found out it also has Andrew Lincoln (the hottie in Love Actually who was mooning after Kiera Knightley). Oh, now I really do have to see it again. I don't remember him at all, but that was before Love Actually!

Justine Waddell as Molly Gibson in Wives and Daughters
Well, Molly Gibson in Wives and Daughters has been done so well by Justine Waddell that I pity the next actress who inherits the part, likely 10 years down the road. I can't imagine a better Molly.

Justine Waddell in The Mystery of Natalie Wood
Apparently she did a fabulous job with her portrayal of Natalie Wood in The Mystery of Natalie Wood. Both her likeness to the iconic actress and her talent have been lavishly praised by critics. I really must see this one too. It may have a bit of a revival now that her name is unfortunately in the news again.

Justine Waddell and Anthony Howell as Molly and Roger

I think that I will always think of Justine Waddell as Molly Gibson however. A great role for a wonderful actress. Hopefully she has many more years of acting and many more Period Dramas to come.

9 comments:

  1. Justine is definitely one of my favourite actresses! I can't recall in which film I saw her first but she'll always be Molly to me!

    Have you seen The Fall? She only has a minor role in it but it's a film that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's not your typical period drama - more of a fantasy but Tarsem Singh scouted unusual locations from around the world to be used in the film. Forgive me if we've already had this conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea she also played Tess and Estella. She is Molly Gibson! The acting was great in Woman in White but the script was awful--I could only watch it halfway before I gave up in disgust, and I liked MP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cheryl-I haven't seen The Fall. Sounds good though and don't worry, we haven't talked about this before. At least, I don't think so...;)

    @Jane-Oh, dear, you couldn't even finish The Woman in White? I am pretty sure I saw it but it was so long ago I hardly recall. Glad you liked MP too. I had a harder time with the more recent one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have seen her in Wives and Daughters, Mansfield Park and Tess. I loved her in all of them. I think I saw her in Wives and Daughters first. I haven't seen the others that I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved her in Wives and Daughters and in Great Expectations. I saw her in Mansfield Park too, but her role there was not so under the spotlight so... not enough to appreciate her. Thanks for reminding us all those great costume series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen her in Tess and Great Expectations.

    Kate from Leeds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wives and Daughters is such a lovable book. There is not much to attract in the very beginning but it catches your attention as the story moves on. I love the relationship the stepsisters have and the frustration you feel for the love triangle. Overall it is a great buy and the only regret you feel in the end is that it was unfinished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved her performance in wives and daughters now i'll look forward to seeing her in those other roles

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails