Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Friday, December 9, 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary 2001

Bridget Jones's Diary Poster
Why oh why do I love this film so much? I know it is not a masterpiece of celluloid. And yet I can watch it over and over. I also love the book by the way, and unlike the films, the second book might be even better than the first. But this is the Bridget movie that I love. I mean it has Mr. Darcy and Edward Ferrars in it for starters.

Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy...brilliant!
Yup, a casting coup to get Mr. Darcy himself, Colin Firth to play Mark Darcy, the modern personification of his iconic character. But why do we not get to see him with his shirt off? Or a wet shirt? OK, we did enjoy the male version of the cat-fight set to the tune of "It's Raining Men".



Mark Darcy: All right Cleaver, outside.
Daniel Cleaver: [half laughing] I'm sorry? Outside? Should I bring my dueling pistols or my sword?

The sight of two good looking English gents kicking and pushing each other like girls just makes me giddy. Especially when set to a catchy song! Man these people know what I like (Andrew Davies, Richard Curtis, Helen Fielding...yup!)


Bridget: Resolution #1: Uggg - will obviously lose 20 lbs. #2: Always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional "dimwits", or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things. 


Admiral Darcy: I like a woman with an arse you can park a bike in and balance a pint of beer on. 

Rock on awesome father of Mark Darcy! You are the ideal father-in-law! 



Shazzer: Look, are you coming to "bloody" Paris or not?
Bridget: Um, not.
Shazzer: No "bloody" room, anyway.


Mark Darcy: I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are. 


Bridget: You once said you liked me just as I am and I just wanted to say likewise. I mean you wear stupid things your mum buys you, tonight's another... classic. You're haughty, and you always say the wrong thing in every situation and I seriously believe that you should rethink the length of your sideburns. But, you're a nice man and I like you. If you wanted to pop by some time that might be nice... more than nice.
Mark Darcy: Right, crikey.


Bridget: Wait a minute... nice boys don't kiss like that.
Mark Darcy: Oh, yes, they "bloody well" do.

 *********************************************************************************


Yup, still one of my fave movies ever. A guilty pleasure. Now I think I may have to pull the book out again for some bedtime reading.  

My question is this: Will this film be redone in the next decade or so? Will each generation have to have it's own Bridget Jones and Mark Darcy just like we have to reinvent Lizzie and Mr. Darcy?
Aaaaand...will Bridget Jones 3 (avec des bébés) ever get off the ground? And will Bridget be skinny this time? I could use another Bridget Jones, but only if it's as good as the first one please.

N.B. Just Googled Bridget Jones 3 and came up with the info that Bridget Jones's  Baby is a go, with Peter Cattaneo (from The Full Monty) directing and filming to start in January with a 2013 release date. Colin Firth has already spilled the beans about the plot. **Spoiler Alert**:

According to Marie Clarie UK, Colin Firth opened up earlier in the fall.

‘I can tell you that Bridget and Mark can’t have children, I think that’s the way it goes on,’ the Oscar-winner told Dave Karger, reporting for Access Hollywood.
‘So then she makes the huge mistake of going back to Daniel Cleaver [Hugh Grant's character] for long enough to get pregnant.‘And I think he dumps her, and she’s left stranded, and guess who comes back to rescue her?’
While we still have no idea if the actor's version of the plot is correct, author Helen Fielding also confirmed the plans.
‘I will be working on both the book and the film but I don’t know if they are the same thing yet,' she said. 'It’s not been decided.’

Squeeeeeeee!!!! Can't wait! A book and a film!

7 comments:

  1. All I can say is "YES!" Though not to the remaking question. I'd sooner see Casablanca remade. Why fiddle with perfection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, now you have me in the mood for this movie, and our wee little library will not be open until Monday. I have to wait allll weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jane-Just Googled Bridget Jones 3 and came up with the recent info that the director from The Full Monty will be doing it and it will be titled "Bridget Jones's Baby". No word on who the father is (apparently Helen Fielding had it as Daniel Cleaver!) and filming starts in January. Yay!

    @Mom Wald-You might need to put out an APB to see if any friends can lend a copy! Emergency! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Colin Firth in this film!

    Kate, Leeds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kate- Yes he is pretty yummy isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jenny - Yes, CF IS very handsome! Loved CF since I was eight when I saw P & P for the first time!

    Kate, Leeds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridget came across to me as someone who has a lot of self esteem, but at the same time is desperately trying to convince herself and others that she's ok the way she is. She's very vocal about her opinions, never gives up either when things are looking down. I really liked Bridget as a character, and saw a lot of her in me. Maybe that's why I liked this book so much.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails