Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton 2006


I was finally able to sit down and watch The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton recently. The ever adorable JJ Feild is certainly one very good reason for you all to seek this one out. My word, is that man attractive!


I tell you, any time this man is in period dress (preferably a cravat!) is a reason to give your full attention to the screen ladies. However, the Squire was perfectly happy to watch this with me, possibly because Mrs. Beeton was played by the very attractive Anna Madeley.


Anna Madeley is one of those actresses who pops up in many things, and I don't always recognize her. See if you can pick her out of this Sunday's first episode of Mr. Selfridge. She plays the brilliantly named Miss Ravillious! She was also Celia Ryder in the latest Brideshead Revisited as well as Lucy Steele in the 2008 version of Sense and Sensibility. See what I mean? She is a chameleon!


I wish I could tell you that this film has a happy ending, but I can't. They both worked their tails off to produce the book Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management, among other publications. Mrs. Beeton died at age 28 from illness and Sam Beeton only lasted another 12 years before succumbing to tuberculosis. However, there is a wonderful love story before the sad ending, as well as a cracking good tale of one heck of a woman who helped many other Victorian women struggling to manage their houses, children, husbands and livestock, among other topics!


So, here's to Isabella Beeton. May I have half of her energy as I try to tackle my spring cleaning! Happy Easter, Happy Passover and cheers to Mrs. Beeton!


P.S. You will also spot Anna Chancellor and Jim Carter in this one as Isabella's mother and step-father.
P.P.S. One of my regular readers LRK or Lark as I have been calling her brought my attention to a new drama about the American Revolution called Turn in which we may be able to see JJ Feild in 18th century dress. Yipee!

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a remake of The Scarlet Pimpernel with JJ feild as Percy. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bluamaryllis! From your keyboard to JJ's ears.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Where can I watch the movie? I'm from Argentina. I would like watch a version with subtitles in spanish, please!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails